- Always use correct spelling and capitalization. (Not sure about something? Look it up!)
- Most importantly, please format addresses according to your city/country/region’s local postal guidelines.
- Be flexible and open-minded: remember there will be exceptions to these rules. Focus on providing thorough and correct information for as many places as possible. The rest of the Foursquare community will thank you!
- Try to avoid extra, unnecessary, or redundant information
- Example 1: You shouldn’t need to include location information in a place name
- Okay: “Starbucks”
- Not okay: “Starbucks - Springfield” (Springfield is already listed as the city and becomes unnecessary)
- Example 2: If a place is located on the corner of Main St and 2nd St, the cross street shouldn’t repeat the address information.
- Okay: “Main St (at 2nd St)”
- Not okay: “Main St (Main St and 2nd St)” (Main St is redundant)
- When possible, stick with address abbreviations: “Rd” instead of “Road,” "Ave" instead of "Avenue,” "St" instead "Street,” etc.
- But, do not abbreviate the beginning of a street address:
- Okay: “Highway 54” or “Route 31”
- Not okay: “Hwy 54” or “Rte 31” (these abbreviations are harder to read)
- Cross Street should be abbreviated like one of the following:
- at Main St (for places on a corner)
- btwn 2nd & 3rd Ave (for places located between two streets)
- State names should be abbreviated in the US, though feel free to omit this field in countries where states/provinces are not used.
- Categories should be useful and applicable. The primary one determines the place icon and should be the most accurate category.